COVID-19 has rapidly become a global phenomenon, reminding us in the process the Greatness of Allah (swt) and the inherent weakness of man
We would like to take this opportunity to remind the Muslim community of the following points:
1. COVID-19 is everybody’s responsibility. It affects all of us, irrespective of our differences.
2. This crisis is a time for Muslims to demonstrate the sublimeness of their Islam, specifically calmness in the face of adversity, altruism, and the highest standards of personal hygiene. These are matters of faith that should be demonstrated every day whether as individuals, groups, or businesses.
3. The Muslim Ummah when faced with a trial or a pandemic such as this, faces it with reliance on Allah (swt) and adopting the practical means whilst placing full trust in our Creator (swt). We face it whilst seeking forgiveness, and by referring to a tenant of our core belief that the believer submits to the Qada (judgement) of Allah (swt), and that calamity afflicts people so that Allah (swt) can test their faith with Him (swt). We ask Allah (swt) that this is not sent to us as a punishment.
The guidance from our Prophet (saw) is to invite people to seek forgiveness and do good deeds whilst seeking a cure with the full belief that the healer is only Allah (swt).
Following our beloved Prophet (saw) carries a great reward, whether it is in taking his advice in seeking a cure and prevention, or in understanding how a believer should view it. Al-Bukhari narrated through Abu Hurairah that the Messenger (saw) said,
لاَ تُورِدُوا المُمْرِضَ عَلَى المُصِحّ
“The one who is ill shall not meet the healthy”
And he (saw) also said,
إِذَا سَمِعْتُمْ بِالطَّاعُونِ بِأَرْضٍ فَلاَ تَدْخُلُوهَا، وَإِذَا وَقَعَ بِأَرْضٍ وَأَنْتُمْ بِهَا فَلاَ تَخْرُجُوا مِنْهَا
“If you hear that the plague is in a land, do not enter it, and if it happens in a land where you are, then do not leave it” (Al-Bukhari)
Aisha reports that she asked the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, about plagues and he said,
أَنَّهُ كَانَ عَذَابًا يَبْعَثُهُ اللَّهُ عَلَى مَنْ يَشَاءُ، فَجَعَلَهُ اللَّهُ رَحْمَةً لِلْمُؤْمِنِينَ، فَلَيْسَ مِنْ عَبْدٍ يَقَعُ الطَّاعُونُ، فَيَمْكُثُ فِي بَلَدِهِ صَابِرًا، يَعْلَمُ أَنَّهُ لَنْ يُصِيبَهُ إِلَّا مَا كَتَبَ اللَّهُ لَهُ، إِلَّا كَانَ لَهُ مِثْلُ أَجْرِ الشَّهِيدِ
“It is a punishment that Allah sends upon whoever he wills, but Allah has made it a mercy for the believers. Any servant who resides in a land afflicted by plague, remaining patient and hoping for reward from Allah, knowing that nothing will befall him but what Allah has decreed, he will be given the reward of a martyr.” (Al-Bukhari)
4. On matters like COVID-19, when seeking a cure and/or prevention, Islam demands we base our response on expert advice. The shariah insists we take this responsibility seriously as we would be legally responsible for inflicting harm upon others through our negligence. Abdullah ibn Umar reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said,
كُلُّكُمْ رَاعٍ وَكُلُّكُمْ مَسْؤول عَنْ رَعِيَّتِهِ، الإِمَامُ رَاعٍ وَمَسْؤولٌ عَنْ رَعِيَّتِهِ، وَالرَّجُلُ رَاعٍ فِي أَهْلِهِ وَهُوَ مَسْؤولٌ عَنْ رَعِيَّتِهِ، وَالْمَرْأَةُ رَاعِيَةٌ فِي بَيْتِ زَوْجِهَا وَمَسْؤولَةٌ عَنْ رَعِيَّتِهَا، وَالْخَادِمُ رَاعٍ فِي مَالِ سَيِّدِهِ ومَسْؤولٌ عَنْ رَعِيَّتِهِ، -قَالَ: وَحَسِبْتُ أَنْ قَدْ قَالَ: وَالرَّجُلُ رَاعٍ فِي مَالِ أَبِيهِ وَمَسْؤولٌ عَنْ رَعِيَّتِهِ- وَكُلُّكُمْ رَاعٍ وَمَسْؤولٌ عَنْ رَعِيَّتِهِ
“Every one of you is a shepherd and is responsible for his flock. The leader of people is a guardian and is responsible for his subjects. A man is the guardian of his family and he is responsible for them. A woman is the guardian of her husband’s home and his children and she is responsible for them. The servant of a man is a guardian of the property of his master and he is responsible for it. No doubt, every one of you is a shepherd and is responsible for his flock.” (Bukhari/Muslim)
5. This crisis is a stark reminder, again, of the consequences of the absence of a genuine Islamic polity in the Muslim world.
Muslims will always be subject to the political machinations of those who have inflicted destruction upon us, the betrayal of ‘our’ rulers, and the dismal political, economic and technological realities that disregard the sanctity of Muslim life.
We see this both in times of peace and war, and we see it again with indifference and incompetence in the Muslim world with COVID-19.
Muslims truly are a flock without a shepherd, highlighting the gravity of working for this change.
6. Humanity is facing this pandemic lead by nations who place economic considerations over human life and dignity. It is not unfathomable that powers who drop bombs, whether conventional, nuclear or chemical, on populations would place the humanitarian value a distant second after the economy.
7. It is a great shame Muslims are living in the absence of the Khilafah today, and have been for decades, whose 99 year anniversary is about to pass us in this month of Rajab.
It is a great crime from a shariah point of view and a great crime from a human point of view.
The whole world is suffering from the West’s ideological and political architecture that has caused the many problems it ostensibly seeks to fix today. COVID-19 is a stark reminder of the urgency of establishing a world order that places the protection and elevation of the human condition at its very core.
Media Office of Hizb ut-Tahrir
Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced on Friday the deployment of additional AFP personnel at Australia’s airports under the newly formed Protection Operation Response Team (PORT). The $107 million initiative will reportedly see military style policing at airports with its members armed with MK-18 short-barrel rifles and carrying face recognition technology whilst undertaking ‘scoping’ and ‘behavioural assessment’ duties.
In light of the incessantly intrusive politicisation of security in the ‘war on terror’ (WOT) era, Hizb ut-Tahrir Australia would like to make the following comments:
1. Scott Morrison says this initiative is needed in response to the new set of realities in which we live. What he has conveniently failed to mention is the fact Western governments are the architects of the political and security instability we all face today. Two decades of the WOT has made the world less safe, not more.
2. The deployment of facial recognition technology is consistent with the Orwellian trajectory of WOT policies. The line has shifted so significantly in two decades that little argument needs to be made today about ‘due process’ or ‘rule of law’. Security is the new civility.
3. In a move that will make even China blush, the new technology will undoubtedly be used disproportionately against Muslims, a fact that is already evident with existing experiences, existing powers and existing technologies. The racial profiling of Australia’s Muslim population is near complete.
4. Although funding for this initiative was announced in the last budget, this latest announcement, with its specific details, comes on the back of more terror raids and at a time of peak travel. It’s a well-worn cycle, where terror raids are splashed across our screens, public anxieties heightened, and new laws or new powers deployed without question.
The exploitation of security for political purposes shows no signs of abating. The government wants to talk tough about a perceived ‘threat’, while China is actually threatening Australia’s security.
5. It is not without coincidence that at a time of a struggling economy, where cuts to vital services have been unashamedly announced, the Morrison government still pours millions of dollars into security at the behest of its agencies. Whilst ASIO and the AFP endlessly fill their coffers, and the government beefs up their electoral chances, the question of who really benefits from these initiatives needs to be asked that much more urgently.
Media Office of Hizb ut-Tahrir
7th December 2019
The abuse carried out by the two police officers is but a representation of the wider political order
Body cam footage showed two officers racially abusing and mistreating two Muslim women of Afghan background. Any mistreatment of this nature is confronting and upsetting, as it represents the abuse of power against the vulnerable, and abuse by those who are entrusted with upholding the safety and security of citizens. Though the like of these incidents, and worse, have been meted out to other marginalised sections of the community, this time it was visibly Muslim women in hijab that were the target. Hizb ut-Tahrir Australia makes the following comments in this regard:
– Abuse of power is a hallmark of the western political order. Increasing discontent is giving rise to protests, demonstrations and clashes against the establishments the world over, whether the source of discontent emanates from the faltering capitalist economic policies, ideological shifts or from the pure marginalisation and mistreatment by those in authority against groupings. Australia is no exception, with decades of abuse and propaganda against minority groups, increasing surveillance upon the population, exclusive and unchecked power being concentrated to a particular office, prosecution laws against whistle-blowers and the like, all contributing to localised discontent.
– In the last two decades specifically, Muslims have been the subject of a vicious, deliberate and dangerous propaganda campaign, resulting at worst, in events such as the Christchurch massacre. Questioning our allegiances, introduction of anti-terror laws known to target the Muslim community, widely publicised raids, media demonisation of Islam and Muslims, disproportionate and exaggerated negative coverage of Muslims with emphasis on their religion, CVE funded programs, attacks on Islamic injunctions, state bullying and singling out of Muslim children and their beliefs, terror related press conferences by Prime ministers flanked by law enforcement officials, the list is as long as it is ugly.
– It is only expected that what we witnessed of abuse and bullying by law enforcement officers trickled down from the political and ideological mainstream. Many more such incidents have reportedly occurred, though not reported upon. This is the underbelly of mainstream politics, largely unchecked and enjoying the silent blessings of the political class.
– Muslims not only have to endure wholesale oppression and abuse by invading Western security forces dressed in fatigues abroad, but also endure abusive discrimination by authorities in suits and uniform locally.
– Western secular liberalism is faltering spectacularly. Humanity is suffering under the current political world order. Islam stands as the shining example to lift humanity out of its current oppressed state. Muslims understand that there are exploitative forces unwilling to change the status quo. Although no one wishes injustice upon themselves, Muslims will patiently face it for a better world for all.
Media Office of Hizb ut-Tahrir
Raids were conducted by the police and intelligence officers on multiple properties in the Sydney suburbs of Surry Hills, Lakemba, Wiley Park and Punchbowl yesterday, allegedly in disruption of a planned attack to down an aircraft with an improvised device. (more…)
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and other government ministers yesterday effectively endorsed the blatantly discriminatory, anti-Muslim executive order of US President Donald Trump, which suspends refugee intake and places various restrictions on migrants from Muslim-majority countries. Hizb ut-Tahrir Australia condemns such policies of Trump and the Australian Government’s support thereof, emphasising that: (more…)
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull yesterday effectively endorsed the lowly remarks of his Immigration Minister Peter Dutton linking Lebanese Muslims to terrorism and suggesting that allowing Lebanese Muslim immigration in the 1970s was a mistake. Hizb ut-Tahrir Australia adds its voice to community organisations that have rightly condemned these remarks, noting the following.
An Essential Research poll released yesterday found 49% of Australians support a ban on Muslim immigration primarily due to “fears of terrorism” and the belief that Muslims don’t share “Australian values” or integrate. Whatever the accuracy of this particular poll, there is little doubt that anti-Muslim sentiment is growing throughout the West. (more…)
A delegation from Hizb ut-Tahrir Australia delivered Monday morning, 29/08/16, a strongly-worded letter of protest and condemnation to the Pakistani Consulate in Sydney regarding the case of Dr. Iftikhar. (more…)
A 16-yr Western Sydney boy was arrested this week alleged to have been intending an Anzac Day attack. Police have charged him with the (draconian) “doing an act in preparation or planning for a terrorist act” offence. It was originally alleged that police “picked up” on an online conversation between the boy and an “offshore male” only to later be revealed that police were in fact running an “online sting” against him, posing as supporters of “extremists” to discuss procuring a weapon with him, while at the same time working to “deradicalise” him. The arrest has been followed by the usual sensationalised rhetoric of political leaders and security officials. (more…)
A draft “sensitive” government document intended for the national security committee of cabinet was leaked late last week. The document flags proposals to be forwarded this year by the Minister for Immigration such as greater scrutiny and spying on asylum seekers pre-visa and post-citizenship, an “enforceable integration framework”, and a revamped citizenship test and citizenship pledge. (more…)